The Northfield Pharmacy was first opened in 1854 by Dr. George Nichols and was known as the "Old Corner Drugstore". It was then sold 44 years later to George Sanborn in 1898. It was renamed "Sanborn's Drugstore" and passed on to Sanborn's son, Max. It was later sold to George Hedges, the current owner-Jill Donahue's- father, in 1949, and was renamed again "Hedge's Drugstore". Alan Noble bought it around 1973 and changed the name once more to the Northfield Pharmacy. Noble then sold it to Jill Donahue, the current owner, in 1979.
Jill began working here when she was ten for her father, George Hedges, and has been here for 48 years. Jill has been responsible for expanding and remodeling the pharmacy into its current form today, and also for integrating and accepting the advent of the computer and its technology.
The Northfield Pharmacy is affiliated with Healthmart Pharmacy, a franchise program of independently owned pharmacies, through our wholesale supplier-McKesson Drug Company. Our association with Healthmart allows us to provide large chain pharmacy care, with a personalized, hometown touch. Also, it gives the pharmacy advantages such as access to Healthmart's technology and extended buying opportunities, while still being independently run and owned.